Plant cucumber seeds in the garden 1 to 2 weeks after the last frost, or when the soil is at least 60°F (16°C). Set cucumber seedlings in the garden 2 weeks after the last frost.
Grow cucumbers in humus-rich, well-drained soil. Cucumbers are heavy feeders and need a moderate amount of nitrogen and potassium and a high amount of phosphorus; use an organic fertilizer formulated for tomatoes. Keep the soil evenly moist during flowering and fruit development.
Cucumbers grow well as a trellised crop; the fruit will grow straighter, cleaner, and healthier. Remove the lateral branches from the bottom 18 inches of stem for the best fruit production; this strategy will delay the onset of fruits but will result in a greater number of fruits.
In short-season regions with late last frost dates, plant cucumbers as soon as peas and spinach are finished.
Cucumber planting dates
(These dates are for the Northern Hemisphere)
|Average date of the last frost||Planting dates|
|Jan. 30||Feb. 15-Mar. 15|
|Feb. 8||Feb. 15-Apr. 1|
|Feb. 18||Feb. 15- Apr. 15|
|Feb. 28||Mar. 1-Apr. 15|
|Mar. 10||Mar. 15-Apr. 15|
|Mar. 20||Apr. 1-May 1|
|Mar. 30||Apr. 10-May 15|
|Apr. 10||Apr. 20-June 1|
|Apr. 20||May 1-June 15|
|Apr. 30||May 15-June 15|
|May 10||May 20-June 15|
|May 20||June 1-15|
|May 30||June 5-15|
|June 10||June 10-15|
Cucumber planting details
- Sowing depth: 1/2 inch (12mm) or slightly more
- Space between plant after thinning: 12-24 inches (30-60cm)
- Days to sprout: 8-12
- Days to harvest: 50-70
- Storage period: 1-2 weeks
- Seeds per 100-row feet: 3/4 ounces
- Yield per 100-row feet: 600 fruits
- Suggested varieties: Slicers: Marketmore, Bush Champion, Salad Bush, Diva; Picklers: Pickalot, Pioneer, Northern Pickling; Others: Suyo Long, Lemon, Armenian; For containers: Pot Luck, Spacemaster, Salad Bush.
Related cucumber growing articles: