Beef and Winter Vegetable Stew Slow Cooked
- 1½ pounds stewing beef cut into 1 or 1½ inch cubes (use chuck roast or sirloin tip—try grass fed beef)
- 2-3 carrots peeled and cut into 2- or 3-inch lengths (or use baby carrots)
- 1 or 2 yellow sweet onions peeled and cut into quarters or coarse chopped (or use 4 or 5 small white onions or 4 or 5 medium leeks—white part plus 1 inch of green)
- 1 turnip cubed
- 2-3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths
- Optional vegetables, choose from: 2 ribs celery, sliced; 1 cup mushrooms, sliced, quartered or halved depending on size; 6-8 small new potatoes, unpeeled halved or whole depending on size; ½ cup sundried tomatoes (add the last 10 minutes of cooking)
- Stock: 4 cups beef stock + ¼ cup Burgundy wine OR combine 1 cup beef stock + 1 cup water + 2 cups dark beer or brown ale
- 3 teaspoons mixed herbs (use three of these: oregano, marjoram, thyme, or dried basil—if you use sprigs tie stems with kitchen twine)
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup or so fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped—as a garnish or add to slow cooker last 10 minutes of cooking and stir in
- In large slow cooker arrange prepared vegetables.
- Place beef cubes atop vegetables (season beef a day ahead if you like; you can also brown beef in skillet over medium heat in a couple of teaspoons of oil before adding cubes to slow cooker, about 2 minutes to brown all sides).
- In medium bowl, gently combine stock with herbs.
- Pour stock evenly over meat and vegetables and add bay leaf.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours; cook until vegetables are tender and meat is cooked through but not overdone.
- Serve in warmed bowls or on warmed plate; serve over rice or noodles, alongside mashed potatoes, or with side of steamed new potatoes and asparagus.
Courses Main Course
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/winter-vegetable-and-beef-stew-slow-cooked/