Vegetable and Rice Noodle Soup
Yield 8 servings
- 8 cups beef stock (or you can use chicken or vegetable stock)
- 1 pound or so rice noodles
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into batons
- 2 head of broccoli florets, separated
- Seasonal alternate ingredients, choose two or three: bok choy leaves (3 cups coarsely chopped); Tatsoi and Chinese broccoli (4 cups, coarsely chopped); green onions or scallions (2 or3 trimmed and thinly sliced); turnips (2 or 3 medium size; beans sprouts (2 cups); shitake mushrooms (3 finely sliced)
- Spicy add-ons: Try finely grated fresh ginger (2 teaspoons); 1 garlic clove, thinly slice; Sriracha chili sauce or toasted sesame oil to taste.
- Soak rice noodles in hot water to cover until soft, 15 to 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water for a minute to drain.
- Place broth in large flat-bottomed pot and bring to a boil, then add broccoli and carrots (or other root vegetables) for about a minute—these vegetables will quick cook in boiling liquid.
- Bring liquid to a boil and add noodles and cook on for about 1 minute.
- If you want to add leafy greens, turn off heat, add and stir in greens, cover for 30 second to a minute until greens are just wilted.
- Sea salt and white pepper to flavor (or try pink salt for the natural minerals it will add to your diet)
- Divide among bowls.
- Serve with a dash of sesame oil and bits of chopped cilantro to enhance the flavor if you like.
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/vegetable-and-rice-noodle-soup/