Piloncillo and Pumpkin
Yield 6-8 servings
- 1 two-pound pumpkin
- 1 pound piloncillo (or ½ pound each light and dark brown sugar)
- 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- Pinch salt
- Cut pumpkin into wedges. Remove seeds and strings. Cut wedges into 1½ to 2-inch pieces; peel.
- Place piloncillo inside a double plastic bag and pound—you might need a hammer–to break up (or substitute the light and dark brown sugar).
- Cut off ends of orange, then cut into thin slices.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, layer peeled pumpkin pieces, broken up piloncillo or brown sugars and orange slices. Add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, water and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently 2 hours. Boil gently uncovered 30 to 40 minutes longer to reduce syrup. Do not stir.
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/piloncillo_and_pumpkin_calabaz/