Poached Pear Recipe
This recipe is sometimes called Pears Hélène. It is served over vanilla ice cream and topped with hot chocolate sauce.
- 6 pears—Bosc, D’Anjou or Comice
- 1½ cups (360 mL) sugar
- 2 cups (480 mL) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract or 1 inch (2.5 cm) of vanilla bean
- Peel, halve, and core the pears. (Cut the pears in half lengthwise and scoop out the cores with a melon baller or grapefruit spoon. Remove any gritty flesh around the core. Peeled pears will almost immediately begin to brown: to prevent discoloration, immediately toss cut pears with lemon juice.)
- Boil the sugar and water with the vanilla. Add the pears and reduce the heat.
- Simmer until the pears are just cooked through—just tender when pierced with a fork.
- Cool in their syrup.
Serve over vanilla ice cream topped with the hot chocolate sauce.
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/pear_eating_and_cooking/