- 4 kohlrabi bulbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped shallots or mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Trim and peel the bulbs. Scrub bulbs with vegetable brush under cold running water to remove dirt. Leave skin on for nutrients and maximum sweet flavor (unless skin is tough then peel with a sharp paring knife).
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil then add the kohlrabi bulbs or quarters. Simmer until tender when pierced with a knife, 25 to 30 minutes then rinse under cold water and drain.
- While the kohlrabi is cooking, place butter in small skillet and sauté the shallots or mushrooms over a very low heat stirring occasionally for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Mash or puree the kohlrabi bulbs and combine the puree with the cooked shallots or mushrooms and the salt, pepper, and sprinkle with parsley and top with butter.
- Or you can transfer the puree to a baking dish and bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven until steaming hot, a bit more than 20 minutes.
Courses Side Dish
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/kohlrabi-puree-side-dish/