Gravenstein Apple Tart
Yield 6 servings
This tart calls for the apples to be cooked before they are placed in the crust. Once baked, this Gravenstein apple tart will be light and crispy and feature the Gravenstein’s distinctly delicious sweet-tart flavor. Served warm with crème fraîche or light whipped cream this is a heavenly dessert.
- 2 pounds (900g) Gravenstein apples
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (50g) fine sugar
- 3 tablespoons (40g) butter
- crème fraîche or light whipped cream
- 2 cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fine sugar
- ⅔ cup (150g) butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) chilled water
- Peel, core, quarter, and slice apples.
- For Pastry: Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. Cut in the butter until the mix resembles fine crumbs.
- Combine the egg and water and sprinkle over the sugar, flour, and salt. With your hands, mix and knead until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- For Filling: Place the sliced apples in a bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar and toss to combine.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a large heavy frying pan and add the apple slices. Cook for 12 minutes stirring the apples until they just start to turn golden brown. Remove the frying pan from the heat and put aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºF (375ºC).
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the pastry to 12 inches (30 cm) round; trim the edges even. Transfer the pastry to a baking sheet.
- Place the apple slices on the pastry round leaving about a 2 inch (5 cm) border around the edge. Gather the pastry up around the apple slices. The apple slices around edges will be tucked in and the center will be open.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is crisp and turns golden brown.
Serve warm with crème fraîche or light whipped cream.
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/gravenstein_apple_tart/