Corn Beef and Cabbage Slow Cooked
Yield 6 servings
- 4 white baby turnips, unpeeled and quartered (or 4 to 6 small red new potatoes scrubbed and halved)
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 2½ inch lengths (or 4 baby beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 yellow onion quartered, stick each quarter with a clove (or 6 small leeks, white part and 2 inches of green, well rinsed)
- 2 ribs celery, cut on diagonal
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 to 2 cups of pure apple cider
- One 3-pound fresh corned beef brisket, rinsed and fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons hot mustard or Dijon mustard with seeds
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 small head green cabbage (2 to 3 pounds) cored and cut into 6 or 8 equal wedges
- Combine the turnips, carrots, and onion in the bottom of a slow cooker. Pour the vegetable broth and cider over the vegetables so that they are covered. (The amount of liquid you will need will depend on the size of the slow cooker.)
- Lay the brisket on top of the vegetables and coat with a layer of mustard. Sprinkle on the black pepper. Place the cabbage wedges on top of the brisket, cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours, until the meat is cooked through and tender.
- Carve the corned beef and arrange on a warmed serving platter with the cooked vegetables. Ladle broth over the beef and vegetables. Garnish with chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley and serve with prepared horseradish if you wish.
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/corn-beef-and-cabbage-slow-cooked/