Mashed Turnips and Russet Potatoes
Yield 4-6 servings
- Trim and peel 8 or 9 medium-size turnips and cut into bite-size cubes. Place in a large saucepan with lightly salted water to cover and simmer until just tender–that is pierced with a sharp knife, about 25 minutes.
- Add 3 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into bite-size cubes and continue cooking until very tender, about 15 more minutes.
- Drain the saucepan and mash the turnips and potatoes with a potato-masher or pass through a food mill into a large bowl. Add 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of sour cream.
- Return puree to saucepan and cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the puree thickens.
- Garnish or fold in 3 tablespoons of minced fresh chives and serve hot.
This dish can be served with roast or meatloaf.
Courses Side Dish
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/cooking_turnips/