Candied Citron Recipe
Here’s how you can candy citron (and by the way, it works for other citrus as well).
- Grate moist citron peel to release the oil from the cells. Cut the peel into thin strips and place in a heavy pan: Use 2 cups of citron peel.
- Cover with 1½ cups (360 mL) of cold water. Bring slowly to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes or longer to dim the acidy taste.
- Drain and repeat this process 3 to 5 times, draining well each time.
- For each cup of peel, make syrup of ¼ cup (60 mL) of water and ½ cup (120 mL) of sugar.
- Add the peel and boil until the peel absorbs all of the syrup. The peel will become transparent.
- Roll the peel in powdered sugar and spread on a rack to dry.
When thoroughly dried, store in a tight container.
Recipe by Harvest to Table at https://harvesttotable.com/candied_citron_recipe/